Thursday, April 25, 2013

Why not make it dinner in?

Every now and again I like to splurge and have a nice dinner, and normally going out is how most people splurge.  However, I was reading 100 Days of Real Food lately, and it kind of gave me the heebie jeebies as to eating out.  What are they putting in my food back there that I don't know about?!

I had already picked up a Sirloin Tip steak from Whole Foods in preparation of this... event.  While I normally buy my meats from a 'regular' store, I wholly and truly believe that organic meat just darn well tastes better, and in the case of steak, if I'm going to pay $5/lb at the store, I can go get one from Whole Foods on sale for $6.99/lb on sale (it was .63lbs, so less than $5).  And while I'd like to buy a half a cow, I've come to the conclusion I do not want a deep freezer in my apartment living room.  I mean, I might actually use that space at some point.

I won't go into the nitty gritty details, there are thousands of places that will tell you how to cook a steak, suffice to say, I love my cast iron skillet.  Sometimes I want to sing 70's love songs to it, just so it knows.  A package of pre-chopped cauliflower (makes a great faux mashed potato) that was cheaper than buying a head, and another splurge for the 'special night' is that I had.. cheese!  Now I've had a little feta on salads, but since I started watching my weight again, I have not had a lot of cheese.  I love cheese.  I have a Cheesus Christ cheese grater, that's how much I love cheese.  Needless to say I missed cheese.  So a little smoked gouda on the cauliflower, a little port salut cheese on the steak, and ahh.

All in all, with the cost of everything, my dinner was probably about $10, which is far less expensive than going out, and I didn't have to deal with crying kids, cell phones, and rude servers.

No comments:

Post a Comment